1900

Women were an integral part of the College’s faculty from the start. Mary Bucks (left), class of 1883, succeeded Nancy Cunningham Knickerbocker (right) as preceptress and professor of English. The two women provided 75 years of combined service to the College.

1906

This girls intramural basketball team was from the class of 1906. Men and women took advantage of the new Nichols Gymnasium from the day it opened in 1902.

1905

President Kiekhofer at the center of a 1905 celebration marking a gift made to the College by Dr. Albert Goldspohn, class of 1875. His $25,000 contribution paved the way for both a science center and a library.

1904

Chemistry laboratory in Old Main, circa 1904. Four years later, the College dedicated the Goldspohn Science Hall.

1900

President Herman J. Kiekhoefer leading chapel in Old Main near the turn of the 20th century. Although North-Western College was coeducational, women and men were segregated in the audience.

1900

Old Main is visible looking east from Franklin and Washington streets, circa 1900. In the foreground are several churches that made up the area known as “Piety Corner.”

1900

G. A. Stierle, class of 1906, studies in his room, likely a boarding house near the College.

1909

1954 Outstanding Alumni Award winner John Stamm, class of 1909.